Fashionable, nutritious, sweet, moisturising, big and with an irresistible colour… Yes, that’s our watermelon! But more than just a refreshing fruit; it is full of surprising properties and health benefits that you may not know about. If you’ve been wondering what nutrients watermelon provides, in this article we’re going to explore in depth the properties of watermelon, its nutrients and the incredible benefits it can offer to your health, so get ready to dive into a wave of fruit knowledge!
Nutritional properties of watermelon
The nutritional properties of watermelon are very significant, among which the following stand out:
If you’re looking for a delicious way to stay hydrated, watermelon is your best friend – up to 90% of its weight is water! On those hot days, a slice of watermelon not only quenches your thirst, but also replenishes your hydration levels. We’re just like the sea.
Rich in vitamins and minerals
Watermelon is a gold mine of nutrients. It is loaded with vitamin C, which boosts your immune system, and vitamin A, essential for the health of your eyes. It also contains vitamin B6, which is important for your metabolism, and potassium, which is essential for the functioning of your muscles and nerves.
High in Lycopene
Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that gives watermelon its vibrant red colour. Why is it important? Because it may help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer – one more reason to enjoy watermelon!
Low in calories
It is low in calories and contains no saturated fat or cholesterol, making it a healthy choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight and take care of their heart.
What vitamins are in watermelon?
We’ve already mentioned some of the key nutrients watermelon provides, but here’s a more detailed breakdown of watermelon vitamins and their benefits:
- Vitamin C: Boosts your immune system, aids collagen formation and improves the absorption of iron from plant foods.
- Vitamin A: Essential for healthy vision and skin, as well as having antioxidant properties.
- Vitamin B6: Important for brain function and protein metabolism.
- Potassium: Regulates blood pressure, aids muscle and nerve function, and reduces the risk of kidney stones.
- Lycopene: A powerful antioxidant that may reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Citrulline: An amino acid that can help improve blood circulation and reduce muscle soreness.
But that’s not all! Watermelon offers a series of additional benefits for your health and the wellbeing of the whole family, because whatever your goal, beyond enjoying your favourite fruit, you can also take advantage of it to:
- Helping you lose weight: Watermelon is low in calories and rich in water, making it an ideal snack if you’re trying to control your weight. Plus, its natural sweetness can satisfy your cravings for something sweet without adding empty calories.
- Promote radiant skin: Nutrients such as vitamin C and lycopene in watermelon are good for the skin. Vitamin C stimulates collagen production, while lycopene can protect against sun damage.
- Improve heart health: The lycopene and potassium in watermelon are beneficial for the heart. Lycopene can help lower blood pressure, while potassium regulates blood pressure and may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Relieve muscle soreness: The citrulline present in watermelon has been associated with reducing muscle soreness after intense exercise. So, if you’re a gym enthusiast, a little watermelon might be just what you need after an intense workout.
Enjoy the watermelon!
Now that you know all the properties of watermelon and its benefits, there’s no reason not to enjoy it even more! Whether sliced, in salads or in smoothies, watermelon is a refreshing and healthy addition to your diet. Just remember to enjoy it in moderation, as part of a balanced diet.
So, the next time you dip into a juicy watermelon on a hot day, or any time of the year for that matter, you’ll know that you’re not only cooling off, but also nourishing your body with a treasure trove of health benefits! Eat watermelon and enjoy the summer!